WHAT IS PODIATRY?
The Podiatry is the science of studying health, prevents, diagnoses and treats the foot changes and their repercussions in the human body.
WHAT IS A CHIROPODIST/PODIATRIST?
Podiatrist or Podiatrist is a healthcare professional in the field of Podiatry, which has as its main objective to prevent and treat the cause of Pathology, with capacity to produce a diagnosis through the collection of data and to carry out their treatment.
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO STUDY THE FEETS?
The feet are the only basic point of the locomotor system, which ensures the position up (Biped), intervened in this function the muscles acting on the head and torso, the hips and legs. Any change of position means the allocation of all elements that contribute to the dynamics of the body.
Hence it follows that the study of the foot cannot be isolated from the rest of locomotor system; as a complex structure that is, needs the support, support and interaction of different sciences that complement this integrated training.
The feet are also the support base of the human organism, they support the weight of the body and shall be subject to enormous pressure. In addition to supporting the weight of the body, the feet are subjected to an enormous wear.
For example, the feet of a person of 70 years made a course equivalent to 3 times around the world.
WHAT ARE THE FUNCTIONS OF THE FOOT?
The foot is the main support of the body weight. Basically has two distinct functions: one in static (when the individual is standing and walking), and another in Dynamics (when an individual is in motion).
The static function concerns the distribution of forces that the weight of the body does focus on the feet.
The dynamic function is quite complex because it encompasses the study of the mechanics of the feet and around the body – Biomechanics – but a basic shape can be described as an “active motor”, because it allows the propulsion, walking, running, jumping, etc. The function is also dynamic cushioning of the pressures that reach the foot during walking, running and jumping. For allowing adaptation to complex movements and specialize the foot can be called “specialist.”
As you can see the foot is a structure of great importance for our body, allowing the body’s interaction with the ground and with the environment around us, making us able to perform movement and to grasp and understand stimuli that are sent to us from the outside.
IN CONCRETE, THAT TREATS PROBLEMS PODIATRY?
The Podiatry is dedicated to the study of the foot in different areas, such as:
- Dermatopodologia (changes of the skin and nails).
- Ortopodologia (foot orthotics).
- Biomechanics (static and dynamic study of the foot).
- Podiatry (foot treatment in children).
- Sports podiatry (foot functional study of the sport).
- Podiatry and Foot (diabetic foot; rheumatic foot, …).
- Geriatric podiatry (foot intervention for the elderly).
- Preventive podiatry (prevention in several areas: sports, Diabetes, etc.).
SUCCINCTLY, WE CAN HIGHLIGHT:
- Calluses (hiperqueratoses)
- Fungal infections (e.g., athlete’s foot)
- Ulcers, Sores, Cracks
- Dry skin and scaly
- Excessive Sweating and Odor
- Ingrown Nails
- Biomechanical Changes (Foot Dig, Flat Foot/Boring, …)
- Study of gait (Walking Incorrect and/or Pain)
- Deformities of Toes and Bunions
- Dismetrias and Heterometrias (legs of different sizes)
- Prostheses and Orthopaedic insoles, Custom Elements
- Rheumatic Foot
- Walk Vascular
- Neurological Foot
- Foot of the elderly
- Diabetic Foot
- Wounds and sores Typical
- Structural Changes
- Preventive Insoles
The child’s foot
- Incorrect support of the feet
- Join the knees
- Excessive tiredness of legs
- Dermal Changes
- Generalized Pain
- Bad Congenital Formations
- Corrective or Compensatory insoles
- And trauma injuries (Sprains, …)
- Gait study
- Custom Insoles